The 2016 Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America is in full swing. Not only are there several collaboration beers available under the Beer Camp umbrella, but there are events popping up in many major cities across the country. We’ll get into the “event” side of things in a minute, but first I want to talk about the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South Table Beer.
The Beer Camp Across America collaborations produced six different brews involving 31 different breweries (including the fine folks at Sierra Nevada). There are six Beer Camp Across America Festivals as well. Here is a list of all the beers, breweries and festivals. For more info check out the Beer Camp website.
2016 Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America Collaborations
- Sweet Sunny South Table Beer
- Austin Beerworks + Bayou Teche Brewing + Creature Comforts Brewing Co. + Funky Buddha Brewing + Wicked Weed Brewing
- West latitude Session Rye
- Bear Republic Brewing Co. + Faction Brewing Company + Mad River Brewing Co. + Magnolia Brewing Co. + Maui Brewing Co.
- Moxee-Moron Imperial Session IPA
- Bale Breaker Brewing Co. + Barley Brown’s Beer + Black Raven Brewing Co. + Melvin Brewing + Odell Brewing Co.
- Stout of the Union Robust Stout
- Bagby Beer Company + Beachwood Brewing + Port Brewing Co/The Lost Abby + Smog City Brewing + Societe Brewing Company
- Pat-Rye-Ot Revolutionary Pale Ale
- Devil’s Backbone Brewing Company + Dogfish Head Craft Brewery + Lawson’s Finest Liquids + Stoudts Brewing Co. + Trillium Brewing Company
- Family Values Imperial Brown Ale
- August Schell Brewing Co. + Dark Horse Brewing Company + Half Acre Beer Company + Perennial Artisan Ales + Sun King Brewing
2016 Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America Festivals
Southeast – Tampa, FL – June 4th Northwest – Seattle, WA – June 11th Midwest – Milwaukee, WI – June 11th
- NorCal – San Francisco, CA – June 18th – MixedandMashed.com will be in the house!
- Northeast & Mid-Atlantic – Boston, MA – June 18th
- Southwest – Los Angeles, CA – June 25th
Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South
Bittering Hops: Magnum
Finishing Hops: Hallertau Blanc & Huell Melon
Malts: Pilsner, Acidulated and Wheat
Other Ingredients: Corn Grits, Black Tea, Honeysuckle, Peach, Papaya, Guava, Prickly Pear
Availability: Summer 2016
MSRP: $29.99 12-pack of 12 oz bottles
Beers consumed for review: 2 – 12 oz bottles
Nose: It doesn’t say saison anywhere on the bottle, but as soon as you pour the Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South you know what it is. That funky saison aroma is there in spades. Notes of dried fruit, peach and pear are also present on the nose. The aroma is very complex and rather inviting. Can you tell I’m coming around on saisons?
Appearance: The Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South pours hazy with a pale golden hue (SRM 4) and a foamy white head. The head is thick after the pour, but thins out to about 1/2 an inch or so.
Flavor: There is a lot going on in the flavor department. The Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South starts out tasting like a mildly hopped saison. There is a mild, anise spice in there that gives way to a ton of fruit. The dry, prickly pear note is prominent on the palate and the finish along with notes of mild peach and citrus. There is an interesting bitterness that reminds me of the pith of a lemon. The pith of any citrus fruit is very bitter, so this flavor is basically bitter and dry lemon. This is a seriously complex beer.
Overall Thoughts: The Beer Camp Across America Sweet Sunny South is a bit of a paradox. There is complexity and depth of flavor, but it is also quite refreshing and very drinkable. That makes it one of the better “session” beers I have had. It’s perfect for a sunny day at the beach or, if you’re like me and not the super fit 20-something’s in the commercials, after doing some yard work. It’s a sunny day beer for the craft beer drinker. I’m not sure I’d run out and buy a bunch of this, but I’d pick up a sixer on the way to a BBQ.