Homemade Lemon Hummus – Printable Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can of low sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 1/2 large lemons, juiced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Zest of one large lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed to achieve desired consistency
Optional Garnish: a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of chopped parsley and lemon zest
Special equipment: Food processor or blender
- Remove the shells of each rinsed garbanzo bean (chickpea). Discard the shells and place the prepared bean into your food processor or blender. After you have shelled all of your garbanzo beans, add the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cumin. Process for approximately 30 seconds. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides and bottom of the appliance. Add the olive oil, replace the lid, and process for 30 to 45 seconds more. Scrape down the sides and bottom again, taste and season with salt to taste. If your consistency is too thick, add some water a teaspoon at a time until it's as thin as you like.
- Scrape the hummus into your serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of chopped parsley and lemon zest. Serve with chopped veggies or pita chips.