Easy Paleo Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 ½ lbs fresh tomatoes, halved (I used a combination of Campari tomatoes and grape tomatoes)
- 1 extra large onion, quartered
- 6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Olive oil (approximately 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: Sliced basil and a drizzle of olive oil
- Special Equipment: Blender (You can also use a food processor or immersion blender if needed) and parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the center. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, quartered onion, and garlic cloves in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper over the mixture and gently toss to coat, breaking the onion apart into segments. Pour the contents of the mixing bowl on the prepared baking sheet and spread everything out into one layer with minimal overlap.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the hot oven and cook for approximately 25-40 minutes or until the edges of the onions begin to char and the tomatoes shrivel. Keep an eye on them during this process so that they don’t blacken completely. You want some char, but not so much that the ingredients are indistinguishable!
- Once you reach your desired level of char, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to cool for about 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully place the roasted vegetables in your blender and pour in the excess juices from the pan. Add the ½ cup chopped basil and red pepper flakes, if using. Cover and blend on high until everything is completely pureed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve in bowls with a garnish of sliced basil and a small drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!