Ahhhhh…Love and Romance are in the air because Valentine’s Day is almost here. As I have said before, cupid’s bows, candy hearts and chocolates just don’t have the same impact on me the way they do most people. Instead, my idea of Valentine’s Day romance is staying at home with a candlelit dinner, a glass of sparkling wine, a romantic movie playing in the background, and cuddling with my hubby. To make the night even better, throw in a dessert that takes practically zero time and effort to make and I am a happy gal. Enter Strawberries with Vanilla Bourbon Whipped Cream and Brown Sugar. The whipped cream is just barely sweetened and has a hint of that spicy, woodsy quality found in bourbon to offset the punch of molasses flavor in the brown sugar. Yes, I know this recipe is supremely basic, but it is a delightful accompaniment to sparkling wine and requires less than 10 minutes of your time. You are welcome.
Strawberries with Bourbon Whipped Cream and Brown Sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (I recommend Elijah Craig or Bulleit because they are high quality whiskeys with affordable price tags)
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, rinsed
- Put the cream, bourbon, white sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium to large chilled mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the ingredients in the bowl on medium speed until firm peaks start to form. You know it’s ready when your beaters leave paths in the cream that don’t disappear. Try not to overbeat the cream or else you may end up with butter! (The whipped cream is best when made fresh, but it can be made a few hours in advance. Make sure you cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.)
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve alongside the brown sugar and strawberries.
- To eat, take a strawberry, dip it in the whipped cream so that it is nicely coated, and roll in the brown sugar. Enjoy!